Profound thoughts, personal feelings, and what ever else strikes me as I traverse life's meandering path.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Things I enjoy about Okinawa

-The weather
As odd as it may seem, I love the weather here! It averages between 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit everyday with 70-90% humidity on top of that. But it's warm and sunny with beautiful blue skies and gorgeous puffy clouds. And you can tell when it's going to rain by the build up of humidity and then the rain cools everything off and it rains hard but not too long. And the evenings are clear with a cool breeze and the moonlight illuminating the white clouds set against a deep blue sky. (Yeah I know, I'm a romantic writer.) It is so nice.

-My roommates
Nana and Miwako have been so great! My transition here would have been much rougher without them. I praise God for them. (I will post a picture as soon as I can get one.)

-The students
As you've seen in the pictures, the kids I work with are so cute (although I haven't posted pictures of all the kids I am working with). But kids are kids regardless of where you go and my kids become even cuter to me the better I get to know them and love them.

-The food
I have only eaten a few things here that I wasn't too thrilled about. And some things just take getting used to. But I am enjoying the food and it is healthy too! (I've already lost some weight from eating the food here.)

-Going to the store
It is always an adventure to go to the grocery store. I like it because it's something I can do on my own and yet it's still an adventure discovering new things and deciphering labels. =)

-The cafe/tea house by my school
My roommate Nana and I went to a cafe right across the street from the school my first week here. We've been back there a couple times and she's also taken me to different cafes, but I really like that one. I'll have to find out how to write the name in English.

-My coworkers
I really like the other teachers and the receptionist at Okinawa Christian Academy. I don't think the receptionist/secretary is a Christian, so you can be praying for her.

-The Bernanrds
Sam and Dacee Bernard are two of my childhood friends from Haiti. Dacee's parents were missionaries in Haiti and Sam's dad has an orphanage in Haiti and we all lived on the same campus. I have not seen them in 12 years since both of their families moved to the US. They got married and had two beautiful girls and have been stationed in Okinawa for 4 years. It has been so fun to reconnect with them and so encouraging!

-The Christian community
I have enjoyed getting to know the people at my church as well as some other church groups that my roommate Nana is involved in. There are several teachers from Okinawa Christian School International who go to my church and they have been so supportive (OCA and OCSI are sister schools). And I have met a missionary family with Cadence (an organization that ministers to military people around the world) who lead a church called The Harbor. They have been so nice and welcoming.

Okay, well, I just wanted to write down some of the things I am thankful for and acknowledge the Lord's goodness and faithfulness. I know I could write more but I need to get to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! This is SO good to hear Michelle!:) It's wonderful to hear how God has been taking care of you. I love you dearly friend! Love, Amanda S.

    ReplyDelete