Profound thoughts, personal feelings, and what ever else strikes me as I traverse life's meandering path.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Shurijo

So I have officially had my first touristy, sight-seeing experience here in Okinawa. My roommate Miwako took me to Shuri Castle (jo=castle, thus Shurijo). We went to a free mid-autumn festival that took place last night. It was cool to see the castle and read a little bit about it. The main castle was closed due to the festival but the performances were very cool. There was the electing the new royal "king" and "queen" who will be in a parade in November (I'm not sure what all else they actually do), and a dramatic performance with dancing and acting. I love the performing arts so it was a lot of fun to see traditional Japanese style. These were performances done for the Chinese envoys during the time of the Ryukyu Kingdom in Okinawa. It was a great experience and I look forward to going back to Shurijo again. Unfortunately my pictures didn't turn out very well, but here are a few anyways.


At the gate








Lion pillar




Harvest moon









The king and queen contestants






Chosen king and queen








Dance









Moon and lanterns







Postcard of Shurijo




Coaster (had to support the tourist trade!)

2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! How fun! Glad you're fitting in some touristy things around all the work! Love you!

    ReplyDelete