Profound thoughts, personal feelings, and what ever else strikes me as I traverse life's meandering path.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Things I'll miss about Portland

-Spending time with and being near family

-Hanging out with friends

-Developing relationships with my church family

-Powell's

-Art and culture (museum, theater, music, Saturday Market, city sculptures, public art)

-Knowing my way around a familiar environment (Thank the Lord for Trimet!)

-Living in a big city and exploring downtown

-The coffee culture and cool cafes

-The quirkiness of Portland and the laid-back manner of North westerners

-A sense of belonging (I will develop a sense of belonging in Okinawa, but I won't belong right away and I'll miss the comfort of that feeling.)

-Wearing fun Fall clothes (I will NOT miss the cold and the rain!)

-Having my own space and my possessions (namely my art and books)

-The Portland International Airport with its memorable purple and teal carpet

-Tillamook cheese and Mudslide ice cream

I will leave this as an open-ended list so that I can add to it later. Although maybe I'll do another list when I'm actually in Okinawa because then I'll be more keenly aware of what I'm missing. I mainly wrote this so that I could acknowledge the things I love about Portland and grieve the loss of them by expressing them.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm out of the loop but I didn't know you were moving to Japan! When does this happen? I know you're a great asset to any third culture community, but know this will be a hole in Becca's heart. She's so enjoyed being near you and getting to know you as adult sisters. Will ask her to give me all the news of your big move.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Andrea, I've lost track of who I sent emails to at the beginning before I was more organized. I'll email you what I sent out. I will miss Becca too! It's not fair that we get so little time together. But I'm glad I was at least here for her first transition year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelle,

    You will be a welcome addition to the staff in Japan. What a joy to have been a part of your life for a few "brief" years. Just remember "If you don't like it, just go to your room". Love ya, Uncle Duane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leaving something so familiar can be hard. I never thought it would happen here is Texas, but on some level I am finally starting to feel like I belong. I will continue to pray for you as you make this transition.

    Love always,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the advice Uncle Duane! = ) You are so sweet. I hope you and Aunt Beth are doing well, or should I say Hrothgar and Wealtheow? ; ) I'm always so sad that I'm never in Haiti when you guys are there.

    Thanks Jen! I am glad that you have made a place for yourself in Texas, it sure makes a big difference when you feel like you are a part of a community.

    ReplyDelete