Profound thoughts, personal feelings, and what ever else strikes me as I traverse life's meandering path.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Surrender Tree by Margarita Engle

"The Little War?
How can there be
a little war?

Are some deaths
smaller than others,
leaving mothers
who weep
a little less?"



"I see a story in her eyes.
She thinks she has no right to eat
while so many others starve."


"When I asked Rosa why a newspaper
would care so much about our island,
I found her answer troubling.

She said tales of suffering sell newspapers
that make readers feel safe,
because they are so far away
from the horror...."


"We imagined they were here
to help us gain the freedom
we've craved for so long.

...We helped them win
this strange victory
over us."


"Peace is not the paradise
I imagined, but it is a chance
to dream...."

The above excerpts are from a book beautifully written in prose with poignant descriptions of a freed slave woman's medical efforts during the wars for Cuban independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment