Profound thoughts, personal feelings, and what ever else strikes me as I traverse life's meandering path.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Unspeakable Blessings

As I sit down to write this blog, I am chowing down on a bag of beef jerky. Where, you might ask, did I find a bag of beef jerky? Well, I would respond, in my mail box! =)

Today I received a package from my close friends Jen and Jon Newsham! Everything about the package was a testimony of how much they love me, from the amount of money it cost to ship it, to the details they remembered from our skype conversations or my blog posts.

To the casual observer this package may seem like a random assortment of odds and ends, but to me it is a wonderful treasure. The items themselves don't have high intrinsic value, but each item represents how well my friends love me, and that is infinitely valuable.

Let me explain: My friends know that gifts are my love language. And I'm not just talking about receiving presents. I am talking about receiving something personal from someone, something that they thought about, something that represents them, or reminds them of me, something that demonstrates that they know me well or remembered details I mentioned at a previous time.

If you read the captions you will get some explanation of why each item is meaningful to me. Some are obvious, like M&Ms =), but others, like the powdered sugar, have more of a back story to them.

The title of this blog is "Unspeakable Blessings." I am not referring to the package, even thought it was a delight to receive. I am referring to my friends Jen and Jon. The Lord has blessed me so much through these two people. They love me better than I deserve, and are a constant embodiment of God's grace to me! I thank the Lord for them and for his grace in bringing them into my life.

Now for a walk-thru of the package in pictures:


(I have to give my parents credit for sending me my first package, even though I requested it.) But this was not something that I personally requested, it was just a package from two people who love me so well.





Here's the open box! It's so fun to open packages from people who love you!






The caption inside: "When you're cute, it doesn't matter what costume you wear!" I love pirates!






I love writing and journalling and Jen knows my style.










Jen loves Halloween and I enjoy it because I love her and it's so fun to be festive!





Jen loves Disney, especially the villains. (Is that why we're such good friends?;) It just makes me happy to have something she loves because I love her!







For anyone who has lived overseas you can imagine how hard it is to get American candy or how expensive it is even if you can find it. Yeah for dark chocolate M&Ms!!



When I first got here I was having a hard time finding tortillas at the store and was resolving to make my own. Now I don't have to for a while! And I love tacos!





I wrote in an earlier post that one of the foods I missed growing up in Haiti, was beef jerky and I still love it! I also told Jen that I attempted to make chocolate chip cookies, but they didn't turn out very well.







I told Jen over skype that I was trying to find powdered sugar at the store here. I finally found it. It was a tiny bag, a little bigger than a Taco Bell sauce packet, and it cost over $3! Jen sent me a 2 pound bag. =)








Tonight I'm having tacos!!

1 comment:

  1. It was our pleasure to put that package together for you!! We love you so much!! Hope you enjoyed the tacos!

    ReplyDelete