Profound thoughts, personal feelings, and what ever else strikes me as I traverse life's meandering path.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Typhoon vs. Hurricane

So did you know that basically the only difference between a typhoon and a hurricane is which ocean it's in? They are nearly the same except typhoons are in the Western Pacific Ocean (ie. Japan) and hurricanes are in the Eastern Pacific and Atlantic Oceans (ie. Haiti).

I am quite familiar with hurricanes, but I wasn't entirely sure what a typhoon was like. But today I will find out. Okinawa is directly in the path of a typhoon (don't worry, it hasn't been that bad and they move on quickly). So school was cancelled today, which was kind of a nice break.

It's always interesting to me to learn the different reasons for school being cancelled according to where you are living. In Haiti we got "the government is being overthrown again" days off of school; in Portland we got "snow days" since Portland is not really equipped to deal with snow; and here in Okinawa we get "typhoon days," even though it really hasn't been too bad so far, you just never know.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. I do think it's funny the reasons that school's close. I am glad that you got a bit of a break. Love you friend. Make sure you stay away from those typhoons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for always commenting, Jen! You are such a good friend! Thank you for supporting me! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh...there's nothing like school closing for a tropical storm...makes it really feel like home!! Enjoy the wild weather! =)
    And, I actually did know that about typhoons...I remember when I found out it kind of took the mystery out of typhoon...oh, I know what a hurricane is! And, it gave a whole new meaning to Captain Haddock's expletives! =)

    ReplyDelete