Profound thoughts, personal feelings, and what ever else strikes me as I traverse life's meandering path.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Every "hello" is inevitably followed by a "goodbye"

I immensely enjoyed and appreciated my life and time in Okinawa, Japan over the past nearly 3 years.  I was blessed to love and be loved by some amazing people.  And I felt at home among people and places I knew.
 But in the beginning of April 2013 the time came for me to go
and I said goodbye.

Then I got to see my parents briefly

and then said goodbye.

Then I got to see some of my closest friends, Jen and Jon Newsham 
and meet their daughter Olivia
and then said goodbye.

Then I traveled to Africa and visited my brother and sister-in-law
and reacquainted myself with my sweet nephews
and made some new friends
and then said goodbye.

Then I went to a mission leadership conference and reconnected with some old friends
and made some new friends
and then said goodbye.

No wonder I am emotionally reeling.  My initial loss and grief of saying goodbye to people and places close to my heart has been compounded 4 times over.

No wonder I suddenly feel like bursting into tears at times.  No wonder I feel somewhat reluctant to reconnect with people around me.  No wonder I feel so drained.  

I truly am happy for all the time I've had visiting people whom I dearly love.  And I am happy to be in Portland and reconnect with friends and family.  

It is true that I am happy.  And it is true that I am sad.  But in order to fully embrace the joys that come from entering an new phase in life, I must first experience the sadness and grieve.   

I'm not exactly sure what that will look like.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you every step of the way friend! God will show you how to open your heart when the time is right.

    Love you always,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete